Sunday, April 10, 2011

Chinua Achebe

I enjoyed both of Chinua Achebe's texts, "Girls at War" and "The Madman".   In "Girls at War" it made me think "What would I do to keep myself from starving? Would I do just about anything?"  Gladys did anything she could to keep herself from starving (sold items such as wigs, cosmetics, and clothes and went into prostitution).  In some ways I disagree with what she did, because of my beliefs, but I guess if you were in a situation like hers, you would have to change your views.  My views and opinions changed when reading this text, because if there was a war or something really bad happening and changed my life, I would have to figure out what I could do to stay alive.  During war or other events that put other peoples lives at risk, it hurts me to see people going to drastic measures to keep their life style.  I would have like to see more of Glays's life in this story, because I think we could have gotten a little bit more out what was really going on.  I enjoyed the text, because I was able to understand what was going on. 

In "The Madman" it relates to me personally, because living in Cincinnati, and occasionally going downtown, you run into a lot of people that are "mad".  This text agrees with my view on the world because, there are many "mad" people that mess with normal, innocent people.  My views and opinions weren't really changed, because there was a part in the story where people kept telling Nwibe that he was crazy and he believed it.  So may people do that to other people, such as bullies in schools telling someone that they are ugly or nerdy and then that person believing them.  This personally addresses things that I care about, because it was kind of like reading about bullying, which I wish was not an issue.  This text wasn't as enjoyable as the last text, but I would read more texts by him.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you are thorough with the questions, and you relate the stories to your own experience. You make a good point about connecting "The Madman" with the problems of bullying. In your next RR on Gordimer, see if you can work with the specific ideas of the stories, as you do here, as well as the larger metaphorical points that the author is making.

    ReplyDelete